Of course, we would all like to have that magic wand with which to achieve our goals quickly, right?
But unfortunately, that does not exist. What I can assure you is that the best way to pass the DELE exam or any other exam you want to do is by studying and preparing it very well.
And today I want to talk to you about that, I want you to think for a minute, how do you study?
I am not talking about whether you study for many hours or for a few hours, but rather to reflect on the way you study.
Are you studying in the right place?
Do you have everything you need on hand?
Is there enough light?
How is your state of mind in front of the study? Are you relaxed?
Are you obsessed with the results?
Have you planned or do you know why to study Spanish?
What do you do on days when you’re down? Do you leave that day and wait to find that moment of inspiration?
There are many questions, yes, but all of them will help you reflect on your way of studying and see if you are really doing it in the right way.
I don’t want to be plasta!, no, not at all. I just want the time you spend studying to be focused on achieving your goals as best as possible and quickly, in this case preparing and passing the DELE exam.
In this article I will focus on aspects that are not so pedagogical, such as organizing notes, making diagrams, reviewing vocabulary … but on aspects that greatly influence how we study and the results we obtain. Today we will focus on:
- In the space where you study, is it well lit?
- Are there many distractions?
- In your motivation when it comes to studying, do you know why you study Spanish? What do you do the day you are down?
- And your mood is very very important, sometimes we feel very tired or stressed because we have more activities or because we are anxious to see results, how do you manage your nerves?
As I am not an expert on these issues, I have asked some people that they are, and this is what they have answered me, do you want to know their answers? Well, keep reading, you are interested in these topics!
When they ask me what are the keys to preparing a workspace to study … it always comes to mind when I was in school or studying for a degree and exam time came …
Since I was little I detected the need to adapt the spaces to what I was living.
Spaces adapt to people just as people can adapt to spaces.
Every time the exam season came, my room transformed it. I had to do something special because it was a special moment, I needed more concentration … so what I did was put the table near a window to have a pleasant light, the bed was put in a more secluded place … and devoted a day to organize all the notes, organize all the necessary documentation to study: I ordered the bookshelf, the books, the markers, the pens, the material for writing and studying. She cleaned everything so that just looking at it, it was already nice to look at and she wanted to be around.
These things are what seem important to me for a study space:
– have all the documentation of the materials ordered on a shelf that is visible in order
– A work table as empty and clean as possible, that only has the computer, notes or books that we are going to use
– a flexo, because even if the table is near a window and we have natural light when artificial light is needed, the best lighting is the one near the work surface
– and a bottle with the highlighters, markers, pens, pens or whatever each one uses to write and study
– A chair as comfortable as possible, with wheels and armrests is the most recommended
… and a little more
The order for these things is very important. Although we each have our order, visually if things are in order they help our thoughts to be in order.
How would you start organizing a space to study?
- I would find a place that had a pleasant, natural light if possible andI would place the table there. Ideally, if we are right-handed, the light enters from the left or from the front.
- I would have a table with the board as clear as possible. Dark boards reflect light in a different way and are not the most appropriate for good performance.
- I would look for a small auxiliary piece of furniture or a shelf that was not very far away to be able to place the notes or the books and all the documentation that I need and I would take advantage of that shelf or that piece of furniture before getting serious about studying to empty it all and replace all things once cleaned in an orderly manner, also taking advantage to eliminate things that we do not need: old papers, postcards that we do not need, pens that do not paint, books that we do not need and it would leave only and exclusively what we are going to need.
- The chair is “office” and ergonomic, it is almost the most important … our body will appreciate it.
- The table would try to leave it as empty as possible. That only have the elements that we are going to need at that moment: the computer or the notes or the books, some notebooks and a bottle with highlighter pens and markers … the material that we need
- and a flexo, because even if we are close to natural light and a window, we will need light relatively close to the work surface. If we are right-handed we should place it on the left side
- One important thing is that every day after studying we collect things and put them in order, if possible, off the table on that shelf that we have prepared so that when we go to start studying we start from scratch to place the necessary things on the table . This is a matter of visual and organizational order.
- Another thing that I find very nice is having a plant nearby, if possible natural. A plant that does not have to be very big but that helps us to rest our eyes and refresh our eyes. It is not essential but having a plant nearby always makes the space more pleasant
- Another important thing is that the wall that is facing us is quite empty, clean of objects, clean of pictures, so that the imagination is not distracted when we look ahead or that we have a relaxing painting … but not clutter!
Melania Mosteiro. Sentir y crecer
I had the opportunity to interview Melania a few months ago. In the interview she tells us about how important it is to reach that state of relaxation that helps us improve our mental potential.
She also gave us a series of exercises that we can put into practice to improve little by little. And all this in Spanish!
She left you the video of the interview.
Ana Ruiz. Origen
Do you dare to try aromatherapy to have better concentration and be more productive?
Distraction, scattered memory, study habits lost over time, … it can be a challenge to put yourself to study, memorize, understand …, but do not complicate it because you yourself have the necessary tools to find that concentration. Did you know that your limbic system, yes, how you read it! Your sense of smell when receiving the perception of a smell can transport you, anchor you, or even help you have beautiful dreams.
It is possible that you have a scattered mind, along with the stimuli that we have around us and your time is not as productive as you would like. Pay attention to what I tell you because you can increase your attention power naturally.
Learning a language requires certain areas of our brain to be receptive. The olfactory bulbs are connected to these parts of our brain and process learning.
Well, if you do not agree with what I tell you, take note. Nature is wise and offers us the elixir of flowers, roots, plants …, essential oils. They in concentrated portions, as long as they are of quality (not just any essential oil is an act) will offer you vital energy for the state of concentration and study that you need to study Spanish.
There is a great variety of essences, this time I am going to propose 3 options.
If possible, get a diffuser with quality material so that the volatile particles do their job and do not simply remain in a pleasant smell.
- Lemon and peppermint essential oil. It will keep you attentive.
- Rosemary and orange essential oil. It will keep you open-minded and orange gives you a feeling of well-being and joy to digest content that may be more difficult.
- Clarity, is a blend of essential oils; basil, rosemary, mint, … used topically and aromatically will help you to be more productive and have clarity to assume concept.
Do you want to be productive in your study time? It is a wonderful world that nature offers us. It is important to look for concentrated product and purity to obtain the desired effects.
Ágata Puig. Dinamizadora
Organize ourselves to study better and obtain better results.
For me, the key is to self-energize to achieve the objective of the study, for example for an exam.
Write for what, the reason why you study, ask yourself at least three times why you are studying.
Why study Spanish? Because I want to pass the DELE
Why do you want to pass the DELE? Because I want to find a job in Madrid
Why do you want to find a job in Madrid? To save and bring my family to Spain.
The purpose of the study is to bring your family to Spain
2. Write on a paper or on a panel that you will get if you pass that exam, that goal or dream, if you can draw it or put photos it would be great.
3. These two exercises have to be visible in a study site so that you can see them daily and do not lose focus.
4. Find a jar or a box and fill it with pieces of paper where you will put a reward in each one of them each time you finish a syllabus or a study day. It doesn’t have to be something material, it can be taking a walk, watching a movie, a relaxing bath, dancing… Rewards is the best way to celebrate these achievements or mini goals until you reach your final goal.
5. Find an “accountability” partner with whom you agree to tell what you are going to study each day or what topic you are going to get until the next time you see this partner. Verbalizing your action and committing to do it with a person makes the intention to do this action stronger.
6. Before studying, those days when you have a low energy and it is hard for you to get on. Pick a party song and jump upright and arms up for at least a few minutes. I assure you that your energy will rise like a rocket
How we study is as important as the time we spend studying.
In short, to obtain the best results in your exams it is convenient that you reflect on how to study:
- A suitable place, tidy with all the materials you need to avoid wasting time
- Well lit and comfortable
- Be focused and prepared for study, creating an environment that helps you bring out the best in yourself when you are in front of your books. This state of focus and relaxation can be trained during the time that you study but it will also help you on the day of the exam, you will arrive prepared and mentally relaxed and focused on what you have to do.
- Also the mood is very very important, set goals, reward your small achievements and those days when you are down, get motivated! That day is also studied, even if you slow down a bit, but do not wane in your efforts.
On the day of the exam I would also like to write an article, so I do not go into that topic, but I would like to give you the best advice: TRUST IN YOU.
You have been preparing for months, you know the exam, so be nervous, you are prepared and you are going to get it.
Además de revisar tu forma de estudiar es muy importante que conozcas el examen DELE al que te vas a presentar.
Puedes leer los artículos sobre el DELE que he publicado en el blog y además puedes seguir los podcast de DELEANDO POR EL MUNDO, un podcast para estudiantes de español que quieren presentarse a los exámenes oficiales del Instituto Cervantes DELE.